View Full Version : Hikari Food Stick Diet Only for Arowana

03-09-2010, 12:49 PM
Hi Guys

I've perused through some of the older threads here and noticed that some ID members have discussed the dietary intakes and variety of food that they feed their Aros. However, I'm interested in knowing whether any ID member out there has purely kept their Aro on a Pallet diet only (i.e. Hikari Sticks or Tetra Pellets) with the occasional treat of live food?

The reason for this question is that I now have my 2FT Silver Aro strictly on the Hikari Stick diet for the past 5 days and would like to know any pros or cons of this diet, if any, from fellow members who have or current have their Aro on this diet .

Things that I've notices about my Aro are:

- the Aros waste (poo) is a solid black color that comes out in pellet form
- starting to notice that the scales are slightly shinier
- swims more actively and seems happier
- water quality is definitely cleaner

- Nothing as yet!!

Overall, the Aro seems to be taking the Hikari Sticks very well without the need of other food varieties.

Any comments and input will be appreciated.

03-11-2010, 09:37 AM
Nothing wrong with feeding aro food sticks. I think those that don't take take sticks wish they could. Those Hikari ones have all the vitamins and minerals your fish needs to sustain it. One thing I have noticed when feeding mp / sw etc, is that the aro will grow bigger quicker. Since your aro is already 24" you don't need to worry about pumping your aro to grow. It's good to give the aro a variety in it's diet like it would have in nature. You will notice the aro will become more aggressive when it's eating certain types of food. Normally things like live crickets or cockroaches make the aro splash and attack it's food where as pellets it just swims up to them and eats it.
If an aro goes on a hunger strike, one of the best foods to entice them to eat again is live crickets. Another reason to vary diet is so that if you run out of one food source, you will still have the option to feed other food sources.

03-15-2010, 02:56 PM
Hikari food stick is fine but just that it will grow slower as compare to feeding of live food and MP