You want put advertisement here ? Contact Us at : support@indodragon.com WHATAPPS : +628129078529 !

Thread: Arowana Yawning, Sign of Relaxing?

Rep Point : 452

Question Arowana Yawning, Sign of Relaxing?

Have you notice that your aro frequently like to yawn? Whenever he feels like. He will yawn.
    In human being naturally we do yawn when we feel sleepy. In science and medication they do research when somebody at your side yawning, the next person will yawn too. They speaks that we inhale oxygen whereas in the blood cell need more oxygen into cell system. That means lack oxygen in the body and inhale oxygen after that we purged (exhale) carbon dioxide more in the process. So that effects too to the next person, he will takes the carbon dioxide when other person yawning, effect to him too to be yawn because he inhale the carbon dioxide. He will be yawning too again to new fresh oxygen. Logically thats explained.
    What about yawning with arowana? Full oxygen consist above the water level (atmosphere). Inside water will be less, unless we do the water flows. Molecule will breaks and the oxygen will enters.
    Therefore enough about chemistry, its said to be in arowana the blood cell needs oxygen too. If the water aren't enough flowing they like to have a small gulp frequently to catch up oxygen. If the water condition is good, and the arowana is comfort. They just yawning to inhale the oxygen whenever they like. Yawning act is their natural habit / act. They like to yawn when they feels comfort.
    If your water polluted or contain high chlorines, they will start to gasping on water surface. Need to inhale fresh oxygen from surface. The contaminated water (high chlorine) will kill the fish. It will be corrosive for them hence killing their internel blood system.
    Some people said, the arowanas like to yawn because to exercise their mouth and jaw. Like other animals too, the cats like to scratch on sofaor any hard materials to sharpen their claws. Some goats or deers like to bang their heads each other to sharpen their horns . I believe every each animals in the world have their own habits.
    When I do my water change, I wait untill my arowana starts to yawn. After that I feel better when they yawning. I confidently leave my tank and do housekeeping to clear my hoses. Are you making the same too?
    Thanks for reading!

Note : Please be sure whatever you do. The information above is just for knowledge. Water change do for extra precaution and monitoring. Not for amateur application . Trust your testing kit.
    ROCK THE DRAGON

Rep Point : 504
    hmm...good info..thk's for sharing

Rep Point : 67

Cool

i'm yawning when read tis information..:011::011::wekk::wekk:
    just joking..good info azrul..:up::up:

Indo Dragon Member
    Rep Point : 23
    very infomative brother azrul..thanks .i'm glad to read your post,now i know why aro yanw,and feel happy that my aro always yawning,it's mean my aro water condition is good!

Rep Point : 611
    why i missed this thread???:011::D
    good job bro azrul, i like the image...very nice illustrated..
    May AroForce Be With You:boss:

Rep Point : 35
    Very good info....:up:

Indo Dragon Member
    Rep Point : 13
    WELL SAID BRO...:up:

Rep Point : 560
    Arowana often yawn after a water change! This is a fact and is often observed! I like to add to what bro Azul had already been alluding to with regarding to water change ===> The most likely explanation is an attempt by your arowana to response to some gill irritation. This is so because as in any water changes, the body of new and old water get mix up and hence cause column of disturbances in tank, which tends to stir up tiny debris that have long been settled at the tank bottom since last water change . When stirred up, this debris gets through the fish gills, because that how arowana breathes. So yawning is an attempt by your arowana to dislodge the irritant by flushing the gill with water. It is so because the mechanical motion of yawning is to create a vacuum that creates a pressure differential, which sucks in water through the mouth and flush it out through the gill plates.

Other less likely causes are:

1. The deprivation of dissolved oxygen

2. Excess of carbon dioxide.

3. Other gill irritation cause by gill parasites.

4. High concentration of nitrate (NO3-).

Next time, try to replicate the condition by using a stick and stir up a column of water in your arowana tank ... you would most likely see your arowana yawns soon afterward :011: . Or when your arowana yawns, check your tank's nitrate level , CO2/O2 ...
    Last edited by morphine; 10-29-2009 at 02:12 PM.

Rep Point : 452

Gills Irritation

Quote Originally Posted by morphine View Post
    Arowana often yawn after a water change! This is a fact ...Or when your arowana yawns, check your tank's nitrate level , CO2/O2 ...
    Thanks for stopping by bro morphine. Admired on your post. I understand on what you meant - the likely consequences of yawning arowanas due to dislodge such waste accumulate due to mix up new water with an old water. There is a logic reason. :cool:
    Lets make a discussion thru out this:
    By your other means also on other causes like deprivation of dissolved oxygen,excess CO2 (which will cause the ph to be drop),gill parasites and high nitrates condition. What I know, this a result the arowanas to be gasping on air condition look alike or arowanas be folded their fins and stay in bottom. Accordingly from the case as said
    From little arowanas till adult, they do yawning each time. With clear and clean water and less volume capacity they will yawning too.
    Try this, at nitrate 0 reading..after few days with new water, they do yawning everyday. Is this the effect from excrete solidified debris only? I don't think so everyday because of this.
    Gills irritation -

The most obvious role of a fish's gills is for gaseous exchange. Gills allow fish to take in oxygen and get rid of toxic carbon dioxide. Each of the gill filaments is sub-divided to produce tiny frills called lamellae. These lamellae create a massive surface area for gaseous exchange, which allows the fish to extract up to 80% of the oxygen from the water passing over them.
    At low levels ammonia causes gill and skin irritation. At higher levels ammonia causes a disorder called gill hyperplasia, which thickens gill lamellae, causing them to clump together. This reduces the surface area of the gill, making it harder for the fish to extract oxygen from the water.> Inside the gill are special cells used for swapping bicarbonate ions for water and chloride ions. These maintain an acid-base balance. When the pH drops, chloride cells in the gill actively take in bicarbonate from the water to neutralise the extra hydrogen ions that are entering their bodies. Fish lose sodium and chloride in the process, so very low pH, and sudden drops, can quickly kill.
    Gills also get rid of wastes. Do not do 'stirring test' inside your tank. As this will give an extra heavy load work on the fish gills and its soft lamellae, that may gives a direct exposure of such pressure, high concentration of waste and direct high toxic gaseous exposure.
    Fish are excrete ammonia into the water, but few realise that the bulk of this ammonia (over 75% in some fish) is actually excreted from the gills, and not from urine or solid wastes as you might think.
    Arowanas breathing difficulties often cause fish to move their gills more quickly, or to rise to the top water level (gasping) and gulp at the surface layer where the oxygen concentration is greatest. I don't think yawning will cause because of these all reasons.
    Cheers bro!
    ROCK THE DRAGON

Thread Information